CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 12, 2008

In the beginning...

Mission work has always been in my heart - it is what I feel I was called to do. Children's missions are what I have always been so passionate about, because they are so innocent. If they do not have a positive, spiritual role model in their lives, who will tell them about Jesus' love for them? I feel like it is my duty in life to share my faith with those little angels who have no other spiritual guidence.

I used to get so frustrated and did not understand why I never had the opportunity or the means to participate in foreign missions. I knew that God had laid this on my heart and wanted me to do this, but each time I saw a possible opportunity, an obstacle was put in my way. Looking back now, I see that it was God, gently telling me, "Wait. You're not ready." I eventually pushed the idea to the back of my mind and stopped thinking about it.

Over the years, my life took a wrong turn. I lost my focus on Christ and became a person that I was not proud of. Wow, God definately knows what He is doing!! Had I not gone through this dark time in my life, I don't know that I would have ever learned to put my complete and total trust in Him. I never would have given my life over to Him and given the Holy Spirit complete control. It was a very hard lesson to learn - I CAN'T DO THIS ON MY OWN!

Over the past four years, the idea of mission work slowly began to creep back in and eventually became a voice I could no longer ignore. More and more, I could feel the Spirit saying, "It's time," yet I still had one last excuse - I don't have the money to go anywhere! Once again, God's perfect timing revealed itself in the form of am Economic Stimulus Check for $1800, just in time for our church's mission trip to Acuna, Mexico. I suddenly understood that I was out of excuses and that God was not going to take NO for an answer this time.

Since then, I have spent a lot of time in prayer, asking that God prepare my heart for this task he has given me. While studying my Bible today, God spoke to me in a way that He never has before - I can't help but think that my coming across this verse was NOT by chance, but reassurance from my Heavenly Father.

Luke 24:49
"And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with Power From On High."

I see now that, even though I was a Christian and believed in Christ's power, I had not fully come to understand what it meant. I was not ready to minister to others until I had given full control of my life to the Holy Spirit and was "clothed with Power From On High." I know that I still have a lot to learn, but will continue in prayer and diligent Bible study to that God can continue to teach me and work in my life, leading me in His ways. I've never known this kind of freedom! My God is so, so good!!

0 comments: