CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Mayra

I am so ashamed sometimes about my attitude. Today was yet another humbling experience for me as God pointed out my selfishness to me. There is an older girl that has come to our Vacation Bible School for the last two days. Her name is Mayra and she is about 13 years old. Unfortunately, there is a language barrier and I don't know her story, but she is extremely dirty, has worn the same t-shirt and sweatpants for two days and is very "clingy." What I have realized is that most of us (myself included) tend to walk away when she gets close - simply because she is just someone who is harder to love than the others.
Two of the ladies from Grace Community Church skipped out on our swimming excursion to go to Wal-Mart and buy Mayra some new clothes and a pair of shoes. They bought her some shorts and shirts, bras and panties and other little things that a young teenage girl might need. When I heard this - I was so disappointed and angry with myself for being so stupid and selfish. I had to stop and just ask for God to forgive me for not showing her the love she deserves. Why is it that I would think that I am any better than she is? I'm not. Just because my clothes are clean and I have all of the things I need doesn't make me a better person! What a spoiled brat I am.
I guess that something good has come out of this: I have learned that God created Mayra to be who she is, and she has her own purpose in His perfect plan. What would I learn from a mission trip if God only put sweet, adorable, lovable children in our path? Absolutely nothing that I couldn't learn at home. Coming here to Acuna and being exposed to children like Mayra has taught me that God has a purpose for everyone - not just those that I think are important. In fact, it's children like Mayra who need our love the most. If we don't share Jesus' love with them, who will?

Ephesians 4:1-3
"Walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

Lord Jesus, please forgive me for being so selfish and self-serving, instead of loving the way you do. Thank you for changing my heart and my attitude and showing me how I need to be walking in your ways, not my own. Help me to humbly serve, yet boldly share the grace and love you have shown me; not only to these children, but to all that I come into contact with. Please continue to work in my heart and in my life, teaching me to be more like you and giving me the wisdom and courage to live it out.

0 comments: